Monday, March 8, 2010

Inside Their Heads

I don't think I will ever understand how the minds of my children work, some days I'm pretty sure I don't want to know everything. Today 3 out of 4 of them were reduced to tears, it was certainly an emotional day.
Our youngest had her first time out in....oh, I can't even remember. Daddy walked them home after school. It was Dr.Seuss Day, and to celebrate they made "Cat in the Hat" hats. Sihdney handed it off to Dad, who promptly folded it ( very gently as to not crease it) to protect it from the wind. She said nothing, but made it plain that this was the wrong thing to do when she refused to walk with him, talk to him, or look at him. This then progressed to throwing dirty looks his way when he spoke to her. Well, being this blatantly rude is a no-go around here. She was asked to apologize for being rude, she refused. When shown that her Hat was just fine, she still wouldn't say sorry. So, time out on the steps commenced. For the first few minutes all was quiet. I should have known it was too good to be true...she asked to go to her room. I told her no, since her room is full of all the things she loves. Well, she threw the floodgates open! Tears ( of the crocodile variety) were streaming down her face, soaking the front of her pretty pink shirt. She wailed at top volume, like she'd lost her very best friend. What a show! We're trying not to laugh, as it's so dramatic, and so very unlike her to behave like this. Later, when she had subsided a bit, we went to her room and talked. Through her remaining tears and a few little hiccoughs, she tells me she'll say sorry to Dad ( which she did, with a big hug). While setting the table, she tells me she thinks she was angry because she was hungry. What a gem!


Now, you'd think that would be the end of melodrama for the day. Not yet, the kids were still up.

My son Asher is a lively, vibrant, emotional boy. If I had to describe him in one word, it would be Vivid. For the past week he has been grumpy, frustrated, and taking out on those near and dear to him. This usually means he's building up to telling me he's worried about something, or he's going to confess to some deep,dark sin he's been beating himself up for. Tonight, the dam broke. I had him tucked under his duvet, given him a kiss on the forehead, and leaned in for a goodnight hug. He was all tight, a little ball of stress. Quietly, I asked him what was wrong. His reply: " I'll be lonely when I have to live all alone in a house!" and then " I don't think I'll ever be able to spell Canada!" Oh,my poor boy. To have been so worried for so long, over that! We talked about how far away being an adult is for him, and how he'll never be alone since he comes from a big family that loves him. Another hug and a kiss, and a quick drink of water...crisis averted for now.

You'd think that would be it, what else could happen when the day is nearly over for them...you'd be wrong.

Behn, our second born son, is crying in the Family room. He's got his knees pulled up into the very large McGregor Family Reunion shirt he's wearing for pj's, lips puffed out, eyes all red. So, I ask him what's wrong. " What if I don't get to see Dexter when I grow up and move away?" ( Dexter is our 7lb terrier cross). Oh my boy! Another big hug from me, telling him he can see Dexter whenever he wants... I'll leave the " Life Span of a Dog" talk for another night.

As for Jacob, he had a great day! Thank goodness for small favours!


Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment