Saturday, January 1, 2011

First Lesson of 2011

First day of 2011......the day to jump on the Resolution Band Wagon....usually with both feet, and without much forethought.  What did you do to ring in the New Year?
Me? My day went almost exactly as planned. I did a whole lot of nothing. Yup, nothing. I sat in my chair, drank coffee brewed in the fantastic new coffee maker my sis got us for Christmas (single serve, yum!). Hubby took down the tree, I vacuumed tree-debris.

 There may have been a few rounds of Just dance 2 with the kiddos ( Asher may have kicked my butt on "Rasputin"), but, as far as I know, there is no video proof.

I also had time to do a little bit of thinking ( just a little bit). I had a phone call from a friend last night, and, I was not as kind to her as I could have been. I won't go into details, as, it's her story, not mine, and it isn't my place to share it. Suffice it to say, it was another thing in her evolving life she now has to deal with.
When she called I was in the middle of sorting things out for the kids' movie night for New Years Eve (snacks etc....), we'd just come home from a 4 hour drive, the house was a jumble, and I was short on patience.
I'm not feeling bad about it exactly....I have the right to care for my own, and not stop my world because someone else's is spinning off the rails. Yet ( trying not to use a "but" here), I do feel a niggle of guilt that I didn't.
There was a time I would have. Not as much now. Our life here is pretty busy, and some days I feel like I'm just hanging on to things by my fingernails.

First Lesson of 2011: It's important to take time to care for me and mine....and sometimes it's even ok to put me first. ( I will have to refer back to this periodically, I'm sure)

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. {{hugs}} hard lesson, isn't it? I'm still trying to get my brain to accept this one.

    ReplyDelete